About the universities and Chinese learning

1. Does it matter if I never learn Chinese before?
In the case of regular abroad studies, it is necessary to have certain level of proficiency in Chinese in order to study and communicate with local Taiwanese students. Even though there are some special laws for international students, after changes in the laws, the restrictions have been reduced. Therefore, you can enter the university with the daily conversational level. However, the objective is not only the acceptance to the university but rather reach an acceptable level of Chinese in order to be comfortable while you study at the university.

2. Am I going to study with local students?
Yes, foreign students do study with local students in both graduate school and undergraduate. Although some classes are design for foreign students and Overseas Chinese students such as Chinese language class, you will generally take specialized courses with local students. Therefore, Chinese language skill become extremely important since you will have to spend time with local students in Taiwan.

In addition, Taiwanese people are usually very friendly toward. You can receive support and advices from other Taiwanese students during the time you study aboard. (Unlike Mainland China where usually international students are separated by local students and where international students generally have their own course, dormitory, etc.)

Living in Taiwan

3. I am worried about the living environment.
In the case of student dormitory, generally a room is shared with 2-6 people. Most of the universities and local students do not discriminate international students, therefore, they usually have special seats for international students. In the dormitory, it is common to have a shared bathroom. However, you will have your own bed, desk, and lockers. Usually there are many apartments/individual rooms to rent that are available to students near the school. The rent in Taiwan is much cheaper compared to most countries. However, considering safety and also in order to improve your communication skills in Chinese, we strongly recommend you to choose the school dormitory during your stay in Taiwan.

4. How much does it generally cost monthly?
Living: about 25 to 50 USD per month if you live in the dormitory. In the case you rent an apartment outside of the school, it differ depending on the location and the apartments, but it is normally around 200 to 300 USD yen per month.

Food: Roughly 200 USD per month

Transportation fee: Usually it does not cost you much since the dormitory is on the campus. In the case you live outside of the campus, it will roughly cost you 50 USD per month.

5. How is the environment in student dormitories?
In most of the universities, international students have priority to live in the student dormitory. There are usually four beds in a room for the undergraduate students. Most of the dormitories have no kitchen in the dormitory, however, it is extremely convenient and cheap to eat outside in Taiwan, sometimes it can also be healthier. If the dormitory life does not suit you, you can rent an apartment outside the school. The rent is much cheaper than most countries, which will give you less financial burden.

6. Should I be worried about the food?
According to the experience, there are many kinds Taiwanese foods that fit with foreigner’s taste. In the case of you do not like the Taiwanese food, there are still many western-style restaurants you can find. You can also make food by yourself if you rent an apartment.

7. How is the internet? Is there any limitation?
Internet is free to use in the dormitory. Also, you can find Wi-fi spots on the campus.

8. What should I do if I am sick?
It is an obligation for either international students or local students to join the national insurance. Therefore, health insurance is applicable in almost every medical institution. English is also available in some medical institutions. Six months after your arrival in Taiwan, you have the possibility to apply to a private medical insurance. If you join the insurance recommended by the Ministry of Education in Taiwan, you will be covered for 100 USD of medical expense for the first sixth months.

9. Is it inconvenient to not have a car?
It would depends on the location of the school. Usually, it would be inconvenient to own a car in the city because it is hard to find parking lots. Also, the public transportation in the city is very convenient. Therefore, owning a car will bring you more trouble. Taxi in Taiwan is very cheap. However, it is not recommended for female to take a taxi alone, especially during the night. Furthermore, we do not recommend you to get a driving license in Taiwan before graduating from university because it is not difficult and generally it takes only one ~ two months to get a driving license there, therefore you do not have to rush. (It is also not essential to get a driving license before coming to Taiwan.)

10. What kind of entertainment does Taiwan have?
There are many outdoor events among university students. Also, Taiwan is known for its night markets. Generally, at the night market, you can find many interesting things and delicious food. (Usually open until midnight.) It is less popular for university students in Taiwan to have the habit to smoke or to drink alcohol. Karaoke is also very popular among students. During the weekend or holiday, you can join some activities such as mountain climbing or barbecue. We hope you enjoy a healthy life during the time you study aboard in Taiwan.

11. I am concerning about Infectious diseases
The medical care in Taiwan is well developed compared to many countries so please do not worried.

12. I am concerned about the public security
Public security is generally good in Taiwan, because many places are often still crowded until late at night. Therefore, you do not have to worry about it too much.

About the support content

13. Is consultation of studying aboard free? Until when the charging will occur?
It is free to have a consultation. The charging will occur when we apply the to universities for you. Also, you would be asked to sign a contract.

14. Is it possible to prepare the whole process by myself?
Of course it is possible! If you look on the Internet, you can find the application guidelines and information of each university. However, since it is a lot of work to review all the documents from different universities, also, our center has lots of cooperative universities where students can get admission guarantee or special scholarship, therefore you might just let us assist you in the process.

15. If I have any concerns during my stay, is it possible to get support from the support center?
Since we have developed a partnership with our partner universities, you will receive a special support if you attend the universities we recommend and it is also our responsibility to help you as we are the guarantor for international students. If you face any concerns during the time you stay in Taiwan, we also have staff in Taiwan who can help you in case of an emergency.

16. Is there any staff working in Taiwan?
Yes, we do have staff working in Taiwan. However, it would be easier for us to provide support if you can contact the staffs from the center in Japan first. You can either contact us by calling us or by sending us email.

17. Can I also ask other support or questions that are not including on this website?
Of course! On the website, we only provide the most common questions that students might face or feel worried about. However, if you have any other special questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

For further information, Please click here.